<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Stuff that Makes me Pound my Steering Wheel 


Speaking only for myself (but maybe some of you can relate), the era of BushCo represents more of moral and intellectual offense than a direct material injury. In other words, for all the damage these fascists have inflicted, I have been relatively unscathed financially or physically. I’m not patrolling the streets of Baghdad for Halliburton, or being ethnically cleansed out of New Orleans. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Nevertheless, something that infuriates and terrifies me to no end is the gutting of our institutions of public safety that these fucks have successfully carried out, and which represents a growing and unforgivable threat to all of us who haven’t already been hurt or killed by this rape.

Driving home tonight, I heard a news report about how, some time ago, a bunch of Southwest Airlines planes were determined unsafe, but because the BushCo FAA didn’t follow through on grounding these planes, and (surprise) because Southwest chose profit over safety, these deathships are still in operation. I don’t know about you, but I fly Southwest a least a couple times a year, and thanks to the "magic" of self-policing industry and an FAA staffed with incompetent BushCo cronies and ideologues, my chances of dying a fiery death are greater than ever -- as are my chances of ingesting poisoned water or tainted meat, or being crushed by a decaying and defective bridge, or suffering any number of public safety atrocities delivered by these fanatical deregulationists, who are hell bent on privatizing the public realm so they can further enrich themsleves and their friends.

So the next time my moderately liberal coworker looks at me like I’m batshit crazy when I say Republicanism is rotten to the core and there are no good Republicans, I might just have to slap him in the nuts.

|