<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 30, 2005

Fact-Free America 


Where war crimes go unpunished.

The article linked above has undeniable existentialist message, specifically, the existentialism of Jean-Paul Sartre, who saw human existence as characterized by undeniable freedom and responsibility. Referring to World War II — the experience that crystallized Sartrean existentialism — Sartre said: “We have the war we deserve.”

And that is precisely the message of the article.

We have the war we deserve.

We have the deceitful theofascist thugocracy that we deserve.

Each and everyone of us bears personal responsibility for this shit. There is no excuse. Whatever we’ve done to try to prevent this disaster, it hasn’t been enough. And I know many of you have done a lot.

But, god damnit, we expect more from our citizenry and our elected officials. We expect decency, truthfulness, and good works from those we have placed in power. We expect every adult American to recognize and act against lies, corruption, and criminal abuses of power. And we expect the press to expose the filthy liars, not aid and abet them.

Yes, our representative democracy requires our active participation and our vigilance against abuses of power. But good Christ, must we devote our entire lives to policing our leaders and spelling out obvious criminality to our neighbors? Do we have to be full-time babysitters for the imbeciles? I didn’t sign up for that. Did you?

This is fucking absurd. Rationality must kick-in at some point. Brains are supposed to work. Evidence is supposed to persuade. Rat-fucking criminals are supposed to go down.

Apparently not in the New Reality.

Well fuck it. I am god damn sick of waiting for the Awakening. If this country can be lied into war and be okay with it, then the country, as a collective entity, is finished.

Finished.

I’ve done my part. I’ve shouted from the rooftops, I’ve marched in the streets, I’ve sent my checks, I’ve hung my signs, and there has been not a centimeter of movement toward justice. Not a fucking centimeter.

I am so god damn sick of the pain and stress. I think I lose a week off of my life every time I see a fucking Bush sticker on some idiot’s SUV. For over four years I have awakened every morning praying that my morning paper will bring the news that the jig is finally up for these fucking pigs. And it ain’t anywhere near happening.

For years I thought these cocksuckers would go out with a big bang. Now I just think they’ll go out with a wimper. The country will simply grow tired of BushCo Republicans, and we’ll get McCain, or Lieberman, or Biden, or Hillary, or some other “moderate” corporate tool of the military-petroleum complex. Good fucking lord. It is so fucking over.

No, this is not another “I’m ending the blog” post. But judging from the lack of activity here recently, I gather most of you are as dejected as I am. It gets damn tiring pushing that boulder up the hill, doesn’t it?

My inclination right now is to post only serious developments, serious fucking blows against Bush. Let all the other lefty blogs post about how idiotic Tim Russert is. I’m sick of the circle jerk of futility.

And no, this isn’t a call for surrender. But at some point one has to ask: Can this country be saved if it doesn’t even recognize it needs saving?

At what point do we recognize a failure to resuscitate?

How many years of jaw-dropping corruption and criminality must pass before we realize we are officially in hell.

And then what do we do?

|