<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Ain’t Gonna Fake It 


Posting has been light lately for a couple of reasons. First of all, I am adjusting to a new job and the new responsibilities it entails. As I’ve already noted, it’s pretty much impossible for me to blog at work now, and I haven’t been all that motivated to blog at night after some pretty long and grueling work days.

Second, and more significant, I’m getting sick of repeating myself. As I think is obvious by now, this blog is preoccupied mainly with the death of journalism. But how many times and in how many different ways can I say that the MSM is a bad fucking joke? Or that this country is diseased? Or that BushCo is supreme evil? Or that the Democrats are the most infuriating gang of weaklings in political history?

In terms of news coverage, this blog has never been one that attempts to keep up with all the day’s developments. No way do I have time for that. I leave the blow-by-blow coverage to the bloggers who do this for a living –Atrios, Daily Kos, etc.

This is a place for rantings on the political and cultural scene. And I think the content gets pretty mediocre when I post just for the sake of posting. I feel I’m at my best when I take a “Zen” approach to blogging and just let the material come to me. Well, lately it just hasn’t been coming. Maybe it’s because we’re stuck in this sickening status-quo. BushCo’s poll numbers may be in the toilet, but does anyone expect these filthy bastards to lose office before 2008? I sure as fuck don’t. And let’s say Tom Delay does go down. The Republican media will metabolize and shit that story down the memory hole in about a day and a half — if it doesn’t get fully eclipsed by developments in the Michael Jackson trial. Yes, there are the 2006 mid-term elections, but that seems like an eternity from now. And anyway, why should I have any faith that the Democrats won’t lose again? After all, that’s what they do best. God, they are so fucking pathetic.

With that all said, I’m not shutting down the blog. I’m just waiting for events to dictate the content. This Thursday Smithantics will enjoy its one-year anniversary, and I plan to have a special post that day. Also, I’m thinking of ways to shake things up around here. I have one intriguing idea, but I’m still not sure it’ll be workable. In the meantime, I have given posting rights to three or four of you guys. Please don’t hesitate to contribute. More voices are always better. And of course, this blog is a portal to the last bastion of real reporting — the left Web. Keep tuning in to Atrios, Buzzflash, Daily Kos, Alterman, etc. Their voices are indispensable.

See you when inspiration returns.

Or when they arrest the fuckers.

Whichever comes first.

|