<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 12, 2004

Democracy on the Brink 


That was how my friend Tom summed up the specter of a delayed or suspended November election. Democracy on the brink.

Jesus, how to process this latest development? This administration is so radical, so criminal, so fucking Orwellian it seems that no trampling of democracy is off the table.

Is floating this story their way of softening up the country for an actual suspension of the election?

I can’t tell you how ridiculous I feel writing that.

On numerous occasions my friend Murph raised the possibility of BushCo calling off the elections. I practically laughed in his face. This is just stunning. I feel a sense of vertigo. Bad fucking times.

Anyway, the consistently excellent Billmon has an interesting take on this. Check it out.

Also, I highly recommend this refresher on Dick Cheney’s (i.e. BushCo’s) deep ties to Ken Lay and Enron. Please take the five minutes to read this piece, and then ponder why the mass media doesn’t consider this unholy alliance to be news.

We are in uncharted waters, my friends. I’m truly beginning to be frightened. Fuckin’ a.

|